Red Sox player raises concerns to MLB about gambling harassment

NEWYou can now listen to news articles!

Boston Red Sox pitcher Lucas Giolito raised concerns about the safety of MLB players due to the increase in sports betting, revealing that he and his girlfriend have faced harassment on social media. Giolito, 31, discussed the issue after meeting with MLB Commissioner Rob Manfred. He mentioned that he brought up the issue during a meeting with the Red Sox and the Philadelphia Phillies, emphasizing the serious threat posed to baseball players.

Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Lucas Giolito, #54, reacts after a strikeout to end the third inning against the Seattle Mariners at T-Mobile Park on June 16, 2025. (Joe Nicholson-Imagn Images)

“I asked him about something that has been on my mind this year that’s been a little worrisome for me with the rise of sports betting – the access that exists now with social media and everything,” Giolito said.

“The threats when a player doesn’t perform well – threats to their family, threats to their life – it’s getting very tiring. I worry for guys that are maybe new to the league and aren’t ready for something like that.” Giolito shared that he has received threatening messages on social media, regardless of his performance. He also mentioned that his girlfriend has been subjected to online harassment.

Boston Red Sox pitcher Lucas Giolito and his girlfriend sit courtside in the second quarter of a game between the Connecticut Sun and the Indiana Fever at TD Garden on July 15, 2025. (Danielle Parhizkaran/The Boston Globe via Getty Images)

Giolito acknowledged that while sports betting has been a longstanding issue, the combination of social media access and gambling has exacerbated the situation over the years. He emphasized that avoiding social media may shield players from negativity but does not eliminate the real threats they could face.

“It only goes so far,” he said. “Is it going to take a player getting assaulted in front of their apartment building by some disgruntled guy that lost a bet for real action to be taken?”

Boston Red Sox starting pitcher Lucas Giolito, #54, leaves a baseball game against the Chicago Cubs during the sixth inning at Wrigley Field on July 18, 2025. (Kamil Krzaczynski-Imagn Images)

Giolito appreciated the commissioner’s efforts to engage with teams and players, stating that “to be able to get face-to-face time and ask questions is always good.” He is not the first athlete to express concerns about sports betting, nor is he the first MLB player to face alarming threats.

Last month, a man overseas was identified by Texas police as the individual who made death threats against Houston Astros pitcher Lance McCullers Jr. and his family. The man, described as “inebriated,” made the threats on social media after losing a bet. The Astros took measures to provide security for McCullers and his family.

“She asked me when I came home, ‘Daddy, like, what is threats? Who wants to hurt us? Who wants to hurt me?’” McCullers told The Associated Press at the time. “So, those conversations are tough to deal with.”